Volunteer Positions Available:
Have a special talent or skill? Gateway Boarding Academy needs YOU!
We rely on community volunteers to assist in all areas of the school
This includes but is not limited to:
"I cannot do everything, but I can still do something." - Helen Keller
Open: April 3, 2017
Close: until filled
Classification: Volunteer, nonpaid, October 2017 – June 2018; three positions to be filled
Eligibility: Must be a US citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States. Must successfully complete:
- Background check
- Consumer credit check
- Drug test
- GateWay Program Training [READ 180/Code of Conduct/Youth Protection]
Job Location: Suitland, Maryland
Reports To: GateWay READ 180 Teacher
Direct Reports: None
Contact: Donna Carter – GateWay Boarding Academy Board President – firstname.lastname@example.org
GateWay READ 180 Volunteers provide support to the GateWay READ 180 Teacher and youth. Volunteers are instrumental in providing instructional and classroom management support and enrich the teaching of remedial lessons by providing individual support to youth on a consistent basis in reinforcing targeted lesson skills to small or large groups of youth.
Principle Duties and Job Functions
- Assist youth in successfully learning the daily lesson objectives
- Provide supervision of youth during non-instructional class time, e.g., overseeing youth during restroom breaks
- Provide clerical support to GateWay READ 180 Teacher:
- Recording students’ grades
- Taking daily attendance
- Maintaining materials inventories
- Distributing worksheets and books
- Maintaining, distributing, collecting and organizing classroom supplies
- Typing, photocopying class materials and filing papers
- Check and grade assignments
- Collect various materials for the upcoming lesson
Experience and Qualifications Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to build and nurture trust, partnership and collaboration with adolescent students, parents/guardians, and other GateWay READ 180 staff and volunteers;
- Previous experience working with youth is a plus
- Conflict resolution and crisis management skills
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is a plus
Personal and Professional Characteristics
- Ability to exercise patience and diplomacy in dealing with youth, parents/guardians, and other GateWay READ 180 staff and volunteers
- A self-starter who is highly motivated and able to work unsupervised for extended periods
- Ability to handle restricted and confidential information in a professional manner and always protect said information
Directions for Applying:
Please complete the GateWay Volunteer Application Form and email completed application, along with your resume, to email@example.com . Failure to submit both the application form and your resume will result in your application not being considered.
About GateWay Boarding Academy:
The mission of the GateWay Boarding Academy is to provide young adolescent males who have been identified by juvenile justice, foster care and other community agencies with a second chance to achieve the education and life skills necessary for successful and productive living through individualized supportive instruction in a safe, stable community-based environment.
We thank all candidates for their interest.
However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.